Dolphin's performance optimized TCP IP driver for PCIe (IPoPCIe) provides a fast and transparent way for any networked applications to dramatically improve network throughput.
The software is highly optimized to reduce system load (e.g. system interrupts) and uses both PIO and RDMA operations to implement most efficient transfers for all message sizes.
The major benefits are plug & play, much higher bandwidth, and lower latency than network technologies like 10G Ethernet.
At the hardware level, the TCP/IP driver provides a very low latency connection, but the operating system networking protocols typically introduce a significant delay for safe networking (required for non-reliable networks like Ethernet). The IPoPCIe driver will typically provide 5-6 times better latency than 10G Ethernet, but user space applications seeking the lowest possible network latency should utilize the Dolphin SuperSockets technology for even lower latency.
The optimized TCP/IP driver is recommended for applications like:Windows:
- Microsoft Hyper-V live migration
- Network file sharing (map network drive)
- Applications that require UDP (Not supported by Windows SuperSockets yet)
- General networking
- Cluster file systems not supported by SuperSockets
Key Product Features
- All networked, users space and kernel space applications are supported
- 100% compliant with Linux Socket library, Berkeley Socket API and Windows WinSock2
- No OS patches or application modifications required - just install and run
- Both TCP and UDP supported. (UDP multicast/broadcast is not supported yet using Linux, but SuperSockets for Linux supports UDP multicast)
- Supports hot-pluggable links for high availability operation
- Easy to install
High Throughput - Networking
Benchmarks using iperf or sockperf shows more than 50 Gigabit/s actual throughput using standard TCP_STREAM sockets over one single PXH adapter card running in PCI Express x8 Gen3 configuration. 8 to 32 nodes can be interconnected using the Dolphin Express PX product family, depending on system support.
The optimized TCP/IP driver is included in the standard Dolphin software distribution.
All software are provided as rpm or deb packages for Linux.
The TCP/IP driver is included in the Windows installer for Windows Vista and newer versions of Windows.
More details can be found in the download and installation guides section.